Do you live from paycheck to paycheck?  Do you know of someone that does live paycheck to paycheck?  Well, listen up! The General Property Tax Act in Michigan grants an exception to a person that the local taxing authority finds is impoverished to a point that they cannot pay their property taxes.  The person must own and occupy the property to qualify and must apply for the exemption.  

The request for poverty exemption must be made on an annual basis after January 1, 2020, but before the Board of Review meetings in March.  If you know of someone that may qualify, contact your local Treasurer to request a form to fill out. You will have to provide support for the application, including proof of ownership and a federal income tax return, unless not required to file an income tax return.

If you have questions, please reach out to your municipal Treasurer.

Are you a Veteran?  If so, your residence may be exempted from paying property taxes if you were discharged honorably with a service-connected disability under the General Property Tax Act in Michigan.  This exemption continues for not just the soldier, but also for the spouse if they do not remarry. With many of the recent military personnel suffering losses of limbs or suffering lifelong injuries, this is a benefit to our military service members that should not be overlooked.

If you have questions, please call us or reach out to your local Veteran’s Administration office.